Saturday, February 13

Once Upon A Milkshake

Whenever I think of milkshakes, a particular scene from Pulp Fiction always comes into mind. It's the scene when Mia (played by Uma Thurman) orders a five-dollar milkshake at a restaurant when she was dining with Vincent (John Travolta).

The dialogue goes something like this:

MIA: I'll have the Durwood Kirby burger, bloody... and a five-dollar shake.

BUDDY (waiter): How d'ya want that shake, Martin and Lewis, or Amos and Andy?

MIA: Martin and Lewis.

VINCENT: Did you just order a five-dollar shake?

MIA: Sure did.

VINCENT: A shake? Milk and ice cream?

MIA: Uh-huh.

VINCENT: It costs five dollars?

BUDDY (waiter): Yep.

VINCENT: You don't put bourbon in it or anything?

BUDDY: Nope.

VINCENT: Just checking.

[A while later]

Buddy comes back with the drinks. Mia wraps her lips around the straw of her shake.

MIA: Yummy!

VINCENT: Can I have a sip of that? I'd like to know what a five-dollar shake tastes like.

MIA: Be my guest. [She slides the shake over to him.] You can use my straw, I don't have kooties.

[Vincent smiles.]

VINCENT: Yeah, but maybe I do.

MIA: Kooties I can handle.

[He takes a sip.]

VINCENT: Goddamn! That's a pretty fuckin' good milk shake.

MIA: Told ya.

VINCENT: I don't know if it's worth five dollars, but it's pretty fuckin'good.

(Source: http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/pulp.shtml)

Since then, I sometimes make the conscious effort to check out the prices of milkshakes when I see them around and I will chuckle to myself if I see a milkshake that costs $5 or more.

Last week, Jieqi, Albert and I decided to traipse down to Once Upon A Milkshake for some milkshake-loving (:

I'm not too sure of its exact location as I merely followed Jieqi as she led us there. I know that it's near Tanjong Pagar MRT station though! (:

Once Upon A Milkshake only serves icecream milkshake, icecream and little snacks (brownie and chocolate chip cookies). You can refer to the photo for prices.

I was ecstatic when I saw how afforadable their milkshakes were! (: Jieqi and I decided to get a large cup of milkshake each because we felt that the small one may not be sufficient to make us sugarhappy (:

The two predominant colours of this milkshake place are white and purple. I suspect their immersing in such a purple environment somehow influenced them to want to dress in purple on a particular day last week.

This little wooden block didn't really serve its full purpose because all the patrons knew which tables were free/ taken.

I ordered their vanilla milkshake (left), which was very thick and very creamy, and Jieqi ordered strawberry milkshake (right), which I felt was slightly more enjoyable because of the fruity touch.

Albert decided to go for two scoops of icecream: strawberry and vanilla. He commented that the vanilla icecream was very good!

Because of that, Jieqi and I ordered two scoops of icecream to share: peanut butter (left) and lychee (right). Their peanut butter is really a must-try because it tastes very authentic. Prior to this, I've only tried peanut butter icecream at Swensens and I must say that Once Upon A Milkshake's peanut butter icecream trumps Swensens' anytime!

We left milkshake haven feeling extremely full and contented! I thoroughly enjoyed indulging in my $5.50 milkshake and icecream scoops with my two purple-loving good friends (: Hoping to return to this place in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, didn't know you liked milkshake! Kinda thought that you kept clear of milk-stuff actually, haha (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think I'm only okay with milkshake that are made with icecream.. haha I usually avoid the rest cos they're too milky for my liking!

    ReplyDelete